Beets with Vinaigrette | ChopChop
Vinegar balances out the beets’ sweetness just right. Feel free to use your own vinaigrette instead of the oil and vinegar we suggest here! Likewise, if you’re making fruit vinegar, this would be a perfect dish to use it in.
Large pot with lid
Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Put the beets in the pot and set it on the stove. Add 3 inches of water. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover the pot, and steam until the beets are tender throughout and can be pierced with a fork, 30–40 minutes, depending on the size of the beets.
- Set the beets aside to cool in the pot, then remove the skins by rubbing and peeling the beets with your fingers.
- Slice or dice the beets and put them in the bowl.
- Drizzle the beets with the oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt. Taste a piece and add more vinegar or a pinch of salt if the flavor needs a boost.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Add one or more of the following:
- The segments and/or grated zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts