Crunchy Rosemary-Lemon Chickpeas | ChopChop
Be patient. The chickpeas need a long time in the oven to get really crunchy, which is what you want. Eat them as a snack, pack them in your lunchbox, or use them on a salad instead of croutons.
Colander or strainer
Rimmed baking sheet
Zester or grater
Pot holders or oven mitts
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 400 degrees.
- Put a layer of paper towels on the countertop and add the drained chickpeas. Roll them around to dry them.
- Put the chickpeas, oil, and garlic powder on the baking sheet and shake the pan to roll the chickpeas around until they are coated with the oil.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 400 degrees, put the baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the chickpeas are crunchy and golden brown, 40–50 minutes, stirring halfway through with the spatula to make sure they cook evenly.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven. While they’re still hot, carefully sprinkle on the rosemary, lemon zest, and salt and mix well. Eat them right away or store them in a covered container for up to 1 day.
Leave out the rosemary and lemon (but keep the garlic powder!) and season with one of the following:
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce and teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Grated zest of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder