Fresh Corn Soup with Basil | ChopChop
This corn-filled soup can be served cold on a hot day—or hot on a cold one! Cutting the kernels off the cobs is definitely a job for an adult—but you can help catch any kernels that scatter!
Sharp Knife (adult needed)
Blender (adult needed)
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender and lightly colored, 10 –15 minutes.
- Add the corn and stock and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Using the ladle, scoop out 2 cups of the corn and put it in the blender. Add the basil.
- Put the blender top on tightly. Turn the blender to a medium setting and blend until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add the blended soup back to the soup pot and stir well. Taste the soup and add salt if you think it needs it.
- Put the soup in a container, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or if you want to serve it hot, reheat it and fancy it up with some basil and eat it right away.
Substitute fresh cilantro for the basil and add 1 chopped red bell pepper when you add the corn.