White-Bean Chili | ChopChop
Although most people think of chili as a spicy tomato, kidney bean, and beef stew, we’ve changed it up by adding none of those ingredients! Like the classic, our stick-to-your-ribs version is warm, delicious, and super adaptable. If you like your chili soupier rather than thicker, use the larger amount of broth. Likewise, if your family likes it spicy, use more chili powder. It’s totally up to you and your taste buds!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Large heavy-bottomed pot with lid
Strainer or colander
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the pot is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic (fresh or powder), bell pepper, zucchini, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt and cook on low heat until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Add the beans, stock, and chicken, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the corn and cook until somewhat thickened, about 10 minutes. Now taste the chili. Does it need more spices? If so, add some, then taste again.
- Garnish and serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Garnishes for each serving (use any or all):
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 scallion, greens and whites, chopped
1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
Wedge of lime
Serving vegetarians? Skip the chicken and add an extra can of white beans.